Base Face


MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC50 Before and After NYX Lipstick

If you have watched my Great Expectations video you'll see that one of my main goals was to create the perfect 'base face.'

I've been on this mission since seeing how incredible Destiny Godley's foundation routine left her looking! Absolutely flawless but natural looking.

I think this is a very hard thing to accomplish nowadays, especially if you want to cover up blemishes however I set myself the challenge and I think I have finally found a routine that works for me.

I use this look whenever I am going out to a bar, club etc and I find it works great for me!
Obviously this wont work for everyone but I hope you can take bits from it that may help you achieve your perfect 'base face' too.

Firstly I moisturise.
After moisturising I apply a primer. The quality of primer really makes a difference and helps your make up to stay flawless all night. I use Tony Moly's Egg Pore Silky Smooth Balm and I apply this all over my face.

I then move onto my brows, I fill them in with my ELF Studio Eyebrow Kit in Dark and then clean around them using my Coastal Scents Eclipse Palette. For a natural looking highlight, I use a lighter concealer on the bottom outer half of my brow and blend out, I then clean up the rest with a shade that matches my skin tone. 

Now I move onto my favourite part, the foundation. 
I have recently starting using MAC's Studio Fix Fluid in NC50 for my full coverage foundation (no need for me to use concealer to hide blemishes when using this) and I LOVE IT! It's a perfect colour match and very long lasting.
I apply this by tapping out a bit on my hand, (I am sans pump) around a 10p size.
I then apply using my Real Technique's Stippling Brush. I buff the foundation into my skin using circular motions, insuring all product is blended in evenly.

Next step, the one made famous by Kim K. 
Highlighting!
I always opt for subtle highlighting due to flash from cameras.
I find the LA Girl Pro Conceal in Fawn is PERFECT for my skin tone. 
It blends in amazingly, allowing for the most natural highlight. 
I apply the concealer underneath my eyes in a triangular shape, down my nose, cupids bow as well as chin. I then blend it all in with a damp beauty blender until I am happy with the result.
I set with Ben Nye's Banana powder. 
I make sure I blend this in too. 
If I find I still have harsh lines with the concealer I go over lightly with my MSF face powder to blend the concealer even more.

Once this is done, I move onto bronzer.
I use Covergirl Queen Bronzer in Ebony Bronze Q120 in places that I would normally contour.
I would normally then go back in with my Sleek Contour Kit in Dark and apply the matte brown powder to the hollows of my cheeks making sure to blend out all the harsh lines.

Next onto blush!
I use two just because I love the look.
I first start off with NARS Blush in Taj Mahal (LURVVE) which I apply to the apples of my cheeks and with the remainder I apply this to the tops of my temples. I do the same with MAC's Blush in Format for a bit more warmth.

For a bit more glam, I apply a shimmer highlighter to the tops of my cheek bones, underneath my brow, down my nose and cupids bow.
Lately I have been reaching for ELF's Blush in Gotta Glow but from time to time I also use MAC's Cream Colour Base in Improper Copper or Accessorize Baked Bronzer in Bermuda Shade 4.

I skip powdering my entire face as I feel my face is quite matte after all of the above so I set with 
(AMAZING PRODUCT, I love this much more than MAC's Fix +) to get rid of the powdery look and then...viola!
 I'm done!!! 
(wipes brow)

The rest (eyes and lips) are down to how I'm feeling at the time!

In the picture above I kept the eyes simple, just a coat of good ol' Maybelline's Great Lash mascara in Blackest Black.
My lips are lined with a generic brown lip liner, coupled with NYX's Round Lipstick in Minimalism and NYX's Mega Shine Lipgloss in Miami Babe over the top.

This all seems like a lot but it really becomes simple (and fast) after you get it down and the results are pretty thumbs up (if I do say so myself!)
I think it's just a case of working with products that you like and you are familiar with!

Do you have any tips to share that you use for creating a flawless base?


15 comments

  1. Great post ur routine sounds lovely, almost how I do it as well,u look gorj as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just got it down but it really works well, thanks Sharon!! :) x

      Delete
  2. perfect, i really need to get my hands on the Covergirl bronzer!

    Anna B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super cheap from Amazon.com its such a great product!!

      Delete
  3. so pretty :) i love this natural look

    much love from NYC!

    http://dryycleanonly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It seems that way but it's so speedy once you do it and I love the results!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! I love how natural it looks! x

    www.perfectlyrandomblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nat-pat(I love saying that). If you hate it I won't use it anymore. ..promise.
    I've been looking for a good base routine. I'm just struggling with a good concealer. Ill continue to check your blog for ideas but any recommendations?
    Michaela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled across your blog as I was looking for a natural makeup routine which showed the products used. In soo glad I found it, it's perfect and it helps that you have similar skin tone to me 😁
    Really love your blog and keep doing this good work!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh so glad you've found this helpful love! Thank you for your lovely comment! :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, feel free to leave your links here too. Giveaway spam and "Follow For Follow" comments WILL be deleted. If you are awaiting a reply, please tick the Notify Me box, I reply each and every comment!

Back to Top