Introducing the DOS Fit Files: My Weight Loss Journey So Far

This year, I really want to expand the content on DOS, yes, yes I love beauty but I also want to showcase a lot more of what is involved in my life besides beauty.
This is where this post comes along, I want to share my weight loss journey with you guys and then some.
Let me firstly begin by stating the following: This is MY story, about how I felt, by no means am I trying to imply that being plus size is negative for anyone. I am simply conveying my thoughts and my feelings about MY weight.
I am not trying to cause offence, I am simply just sharing my story.

Some of you may not be aware but I used to be extremely overweight, I was always a big child but somewhere during my late teens, early 20s at university my weight increased dramatically over a short period of time. 
This wasn't due to depression or a painful breakup or an injury, this was just down to greediness, laziness and the freedom of being able to eat anything when I wanted.
I didn't even really realise my weight creeping up, I was happy and eating, I had no problems.
Then I slowly caught on, size 18 jeans were becoming tight, my face looked different and walking was becoming an issue. I had booked my first holiday away with friends at this time and shopping for clothes led me to purchase size 20s and 22s.
Friends (with good intentions) would try to hint to me about leading a healthier lifestyle but I brushed it off because to be honest, I was happy.

My realisation came when I realised I couldn't wear clothes that I wanted to wear. Bodycon dresses were out of the question, fitted vest tops were ruled out and heels were a problem. For a young girl this became my biggest issue, I wanted to look hot and wear tight clothes and I didn't have the body or confidence to do so, I can honestly I say wish some of the plus size blogs I read now were around then to show me that it was actually possible to do all these things!

So one lazy day I came across an advert for the Very Low Calorie Diet Lighter Life. VLCD are mainly lquid diets that allow you around no more than 600 calories per day (sounds like torture but it's not that bad when you drink your allocated water requirement for the day). I didn't know what to expect but vowed to look into it more when I came back from holiday.

Now, let me state up until my info session at LL (Lighter Life) I had not weighed myself in a while, and I mean A WHILE so imagine my face when all 5ft 2.5 inches of myself stood on the scales to see 17 stone (238lbs.)

I signed up to LL that week!
 (A sign off slip from your GP is required to sign up)

The weight steadily came off and the programme became easy after a few weeks (I had my cheat days too), I would attend my weekly meetings and see the difference in my weight which felt amazing BUT the price became an issue, at £66 per week I couldn't stay on the programme for long, so after three months or so I left. 

A few months later, some dilly dallying and some weight gain, I discovered the Cambridge Weight Plan which I have been doing on and off for a few years.

As I type this today I currently weigh in at around 68.4kg (151lbs) however even though I have come a long way my journey still isn't over.

I want to get my BMI (which is currently around 26.7) down to the recommended average which is between 18.5 and 24.9 (Bupa) and this is where the DOS Fit Files comes into play!

I'm going to be sharing my journey to getting my BMI in check with you guys!

This will include me looking into the following weight loss methods such as Very Low Calorie Diets, healthy eating meal plans, exercise and organisation.
I will also be sharing my personal feelings towards this whole process.

I'm very excited about this new venture and I hope you guys are too!

I aim to be honest and open about it all and I would love to hear from some of you who are possibly taking part in your own journeys.

Any tips, tricks, recommendations, thoughts are all welcome here so feel free to leave me comments, tweet me or even send me an email.

I look forward to introducing the Fit Files to DOS! 

:)



27 comments

  1. Wow! Congrats on your weight loss! I done the cambridge for 3 weeks before going on holiday to loose a stone although you see fast results it is so unhealthy and now suffer from ibs. Leading a healthy and active lifestyle is so much better!

    Good luck on the rest of your journey however i think you looks perfect! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, unfortunately Cambridge isn't always for everyone, gutted regarding your IBS, I think I've been quite fortunate as I haven't experienced any medical issues, but I will be looking into healthy lifestyle changes as well! Thank you for your support lovely! :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh, you look so different! It's good that you're focusing on your BMI as well as everything else.
    Hat is off to you!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah even my mum said so, but definitely keeping my eye more on my BMI than the scales! Thanks Grace :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my God Nat! You have done so well. Congrats

    www.lookwhatigot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations, that's amazing!
    www.lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow
    you look amazing.
    I have been looking for way to come down myself ans you pointed due to laziness
    i gained a bit im in the process of loosing it
    will be looking forward to your updats..:)

    olayemiao.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olayemi, I hope my Fit Files post will be able to provide you with some help with your journey! :)

      Delete
  6. Wowww! Amazing transition! So inspirational! Keep it up girl! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow,you do look amazing...I would have never guessed this was you if I had seen it earlier...I like progress and dreams coming true...hang in there and push till you see what you want to see....A lot of young women I know deal with eating habits esp when they are comfy...its tricky but this is a healthy lesson...well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your supporting words Matilda, it is so easy to lose yourself with bad eating habits, I hope my Fit Files post will help me to get my eating patterns in check for the future! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow what a difference, well done girl.. I weigh exactly the same as you do and I have just begun a mission to shift around 15-20lbs, Ideally before April but the long term goal is to maintain the weight and also tone up. I will be checking back to see how you're doing. I am going to do it via changing some things I eat and doing mainly cardio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, looks like we are on the same journey, I also want to tone and maintain. If you have any tips you want to share, please feel free to let me know!

      Here's to our healthier lifestyle mission! :)

      Delete
  9. I am on day 2 of the cambridge, it's so tough, I cannot wait until I can jump on those scales on day 7. I keep looking on all these sites so I stay motivated, no cheating so far!

    Good luck my love,
    Emma
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, the first 3/4 days are difficult but once you bypass them the days get much easier, you're in for a treat on day 7! Good luck as well lovely! Thanks for reading! :) xx

      Delete
  10. Wow! Just stumbled across this post and your blog! Great progress so far... You look great. Just remember its about diet and lifestyle, so remember to keep active too! Looking forward to seeing your progress throughout the year. Xx

    sandrasayswhynot.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love, yes I will be looking into diet and lifestyle including exercise! :) x

      Delete
  11. Wow well done! From what I hear unless you are extremely overweight VLCD are not the best due to the way they slow the metabolism down meaning that you put on more weight when you stop. Incidental activity and just walking can make a big difference. Good luck (though you don't need) - you can achieve anything you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I was extremely overweight, bordering around 8 stone overweight, so a VLCD worked very well for me at the time and I have not gained the weight back, so I believe this view is more generalised. I do exercise and I walk quite a lot (I do not own a car) but thank you for your recommendations all the same! Also thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. Wow that's some progress, you look amazing! I am struggling right now with trying to drop a few pounds and make healthy eating and exercise a lifestyle. I've been doing well enough with the eating part but this cold weather has made me lazy and I haven't been going to the gym on the regular. I'm working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica! I struggle too, which is part of the reason for my Fit Files series. Maybe getting a work out DVD may help, that way you wouldn't have to leave home but you still get the work out in, I have the 30 Day Shred and that really works up a sweat!

      Delete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, feel free to leave your links here too. Giveaway spam and "Follow For Follow" comments WILL be deleted. If you are awaiting a reply, please tick the Notify Me box, I reply each and every comment!

Back to Top