Valentines Day Look: Subtle Smoke

I'm back with another "easy to achieve" Valentine's Day look, if you have missed my other two you can find them HERE and HERE.

This time I guess you can say I've combined my previous two looks to get this subtle brown smokey eye with a ruby red lip.

Out of all the looks, I must admit, this may be my favourite, I love the combination of the subtle smokey eye with the bold red lip, but enough of me talking/typing, let's get onto how I created the look below!
Red Lipstick Valentines Day Look NC50 Discoveries Of Self Blog Black Beauty
Click To Enlarge

Brows

Same as always. 
I filled my brows in with a generic soft brown pencil, I then cleaned up the top of my brow with MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC50 and the bottom with MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC45 (the LA Girl Concealer's are also really great for this and a fraction of the price of the MAC concealers.)

Face

Here I used one of my absolute favourite foundations for natural flawless skin, the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in 6.5 Warm Almond. I really love this foundation, it is light but it manages to conceal my pores to give the appearance of natural flawless skin (if you have oily skin you may want to avoid this base, it's a dewy finish, or at least prime beforehand.)
I buffed this well into the skin and then moved onto concealer, I didn't want anything too drastic concealer wise but I did want to conceal the dark marks under my eyes that make me look tired so I applied (with my finger) the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer in SX13, this is more of a nude toned brown which helped to cancel out my discolouration fabulously. 
I also applied SX13 to my usual highlighting areas, this includes the bridge of my nose, philtrum and my chin. To set I used the brown beige eyeshadow from my JC Nadia 28 Neutral Palette. 

Blending is also very important when highlighting, this allows your highlight to look more natural as you are removing any harsh lines of demarkation. I use my Inglot AMC Pressed Powder in 60 to do this. This is a new buy that I am absolutely loving right now!
For blush I used my Daniel Sandler Watercolour Blush in Glamour, I really love how warming this is as a blush.
For highlight I used my MUA Eyeshadow in 28 which is a cool toned bronze eyeshadow, I applied this to the tops of my cheek bones and bridge of my nose as well as my philtrum. This brings attention of the right parts of your face.
I contoured using my favourite contour powder the Ben Nye MediaPRO Poudre Refill in Mojave Americano, which is an uber dark matte powder, perfect contour colour for ladies similar to my skin tone.
I then bronzed using my Inglot AMC Pressed Powder in 68, another new buy that I am absolutely loving! 


Eyes

Once again super simple.

Firstly I applied a shade similar to my skin tone to my eyelid, I used my Inglot AMC Pressed Powder in 60 to do this. If you have oily lids remember to prime with something like Too Faced Eye Shadow Insurance.
I then added some of my Inglot AMC Pressed Powder in 68 to my crease and the outer corners of my eyes. This powder is a rich reddish brown which is perfect for warming up the crease. I also added this just below my waterline and blended out for further definition.

I wanted more smoke so I went in with my Ben Nye MediaPRO Poudre Refill in Mojave Americano and applied this with a fluffy brush to the outer corners of my eye for more depth. All you need is a deep matte dark brown eyeshadow for this. MAC's Embark or the brown eyeshadow from the Wet N Wild Vanity Palette would work perfectly as well.
I then went in with a clean fluffy brush around the edges of the eyeshadow to get rid of any harsh lines, using some of your face powder will also help with this.
If you need to, at this point, go in a reapply more of your face powder to your lid.
I didn't use any eyeliner with this look but feel free to add some if this is what works for you!

Once I was happy I applied my trusty Maybelline The Falsies mascara to my top and bottom lashes. 
Feel free to add several coatings for amazing lashes or falsies!

Lips

I really wanted a different kind of red for this look, a deeper red so I applied one of my favourite alternative reds, MAC's Diva lipstick.

I love the look and longevity of this lipstick but for this look it was missing a little something, that something turned out to be NYX's Xtreme Lip Cream in Absolute Red, a gorgeous glossy deep red with fabulous colour pay off. 
I applied a thin layer and achieved the most gorgeous ruby red lip!

To finish off the look, I applied my MAC Blot Powder in Dark to take away some of the shine from my base and voila!
Red Lipstick Valentines Day Look NC50 Discoveries Of Self Blog Black Beauty
I hope you've enjoyed my ever so humble Valentine's Day looks and I hope you all have a fab Valentine's Day, single or not!

MWAH!

8 comments

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, feel free to leave your links here too. Giveaway spam and "Follow For Follow" comments WILL be deleted. If you are awaiting a reply, please tick the Notify Me box, I reply each and every comment!

Back to Top